Sr. Program Manager
Job Description SummaryThe Sr. Program Manager has overall accountability for the success of critical programs within the clinical business platform of BD Biosciences. This is an important role in the BD Biosciences PMO, with direct visibility at the executive leadership of the BD Biosciences business unit. We are seeking a passionate and highly capable individual with a proven track record of sustained success in the execution of complex cross functional programs for new product development. Specifically, the Sr. Program Manager is responsible for the product development, regulatory submissions and commercial launches associated with in-vitro diagnostic (IVD) and companion diagnostic (CDx) products.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Demonstrates program management best practices and contributes to improving the product development process.
- Leads the team to prepare for Phase Gate and other Go/No-Go decisions by executive leadership, ensuring that decisions are informed by a balanced and clearly articulated representation of the relevant data.
- Ensures alignment of product value proposition, program scope, and strategic business objectives.
- Leads program planning process ensuring requirements are clear and driven by customer need and experience.
- Defines, delegates, and evaluates the roles, responsibilities, goals and deliverables for core and extended team members.
- Independently determines and pursues courses of action necessary to obtain desired results.
- Communicates program updates to functional management and executive leadership.
- Defines program resource needs and negotiates program resourcing plans.
- Leads key technical design and commercial excellence reviews, constructively challenging the team and the organization to rethink assumptions and approach headwinds in new ways.
- Leads cross-functional teams through problem resolution including root cause analysis and corrective action.
- Analyzes data and complex situations involving evaluation of tangible variables to programs or collective system of projects.
- Work with functional leaders to ensure the appropriate Core Team resources are committed to the projects and contribute to required performance levels.
- Ensure effective and efficient regular formal and informal communications with the Core Teams using a variety of tools and channels.
- Lead product development utilizing a multitude of processes such as BD’s Global Product Delivery System, Voice of the Customer/Business, Project Management, and Agile.
- Lead, direct, coach, and mentor Core Team members to maximize project success.
- Provide meaningful and significant feedback to functional leaders regarding the performance of Core Team members that is considered in annual performance evaluations.
- Ensure programs comply with company quality management systems.
- Builds high morale and ensure the team commits to goals and objectives by creating a common purpose and direction.
- Suggests opportunities for improvement that have a significant impact (cost, cycle time, quality, etc.) and assists in developing or executing implementation plan.
- Lives and promotes the BD values.
- Performs other duties and assignments as required.
Demonstrates mastery of the following competency areas:
- Project & Cross-Functional Leadership - possesses the skills, knowledge and aptitude to engage, influence, and direct all functions involved in the development of the assigned product.
- Managerial - ability to manage product development teams effectively.
- Optimized Execution and Performance - advances long-term growth while consistently meeting or exceeding near-term business performance expectations.
- Personal Effectiveness - ability to work effectively within the project team and the cross-functional organization.
- Business Excellence - ability to effectively apply business, financial and commercial knowledge to successfully deliver of the product development outcomes
Minimum knowledge and skills:
- Demonstrated self-starter, and highly motivated.
- Holds understanding of technical/scientific principles that relate to immune oncology.
- Experience of developing IVD and CDx products in the U.S. and/or EU and/or rest of the world.
- Demonstrates excellence in both oral and written communication, in cross functional, and cross- cultural environment.
- Ability to interact with executive leadership, highlight issues and provide options and solutions for resolution.
- Demonstrates ability to be effective in complex projects with ambiguity and/or rapid change.
- Multiplexes well to handle multiple tasks and to prioritize and schedule work to meet business needs.
- Exercises independent judgment and discretion within a defined range of policies and practices. This includes recognizing problems and using analytical problem skills to resolve.
- Demonstrates organizational and planning skills, including action oriented, focused urgency and driving for results.
- Shows proficiency in team skills with ability to develop associates and influence others.
- Asserts own ideas and persuades others. Fosters collaboration among team members.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical field required, an MBA or other advanced business/management degree beneficial. PMP certification or equivalent beneficial.
- Demonstrable experience with modern program management tools and techniques to drive cohesion and execution within a cross functional core and extended team environment
- Minimum of 10-15 years of relevant industry experience in medical devices, diagnostics, or life sciences including 7 years of experience in successfully leading complex, multi-year new product development programs delivered through high performing, cross-functional, teams based in a matrix organization.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Jose
Work ShiftNA (United States of America)
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ