Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description Summary
Be part of something bigger!
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We have over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues.
Play an important role in the development of new life sciences technology as a reliability engineer in the R&D Impact Engineering group, enabling our products to realize their promise to improve human health. Guide the project teams though defect prioritization, failure analysis, root cause investigation, corrective action implementation, and final validation. Assess program and technical risk through data-driven statistical analysis. Be a facilitator of DfR (Design For Reliability) standard methodologies to ensure robust design, detailed risk assessment, and multi-functional transparency and alignment. Be an ambassador of customer experience, design quality, and reliability.
Primary duties include the following:
- Oversee and monitor multiple reliability projects.
- Provide reliability risk assessments to multi-functional teams and executive leadership.
- Build and implement test plans to optimally mitigate risks in new product designs.
- Facilitate and direct multidisciplinary discussions to evaluate technical risk through DfR and FMEA.
- Author and implement test plans and protocols.
- Demonstrate internal and external resources to complete reliability test plans.
- Record, organize, and manage large amounts of detailed test data.
- Methodically analyze test data and interpret results for critical reliability decision-making.
- Solve instrument failures and/or reliability issues as necessary.
- Provide engineering input for new designs to ensure reliable and robust products.
- Direct, implement, and document root cause investigations.
- Guide the team to corrective action identification, implementation, and validation.
- Escalate top issues by providing clear, well-structured, high-level updates.
- Be a champion for standard methodologies in R&D.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering or related subject area required.
- Minimum of 8 years' experience performing tests to collect experimental data and performing statistical analyses to interpret results.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in reliability engineering.
- Knowledge of reliability fundamentals and understanding of reliability analysis (i.e., life predictions, product life modeling, root cause analysis, environmental testing, accelerated testing, etc.)
- Knowledge and/or experience with fluidic, optical, and/or electro-mechanical systems strongly preferred.
- Willingness to work with biological samples for testing (training will be provided)
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to perform diligent work with a high degree of accuracy.
- Advanced degree in Engineering related field strongly preferred.
- Experience leading reliability engineering projects with multi-functional teams strongly preferred.
- Experience with test automation (LabView, Arduino, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to apply test and measurement equipment.
- Experience applying FMEA to guide team discussions and priorities.
- Technical writing for the preparation of protocols, plans and reports.
- Advanced statistical knowledge, especially related to six sigma tools and methodology, design of experiments, and reliability modeling.
- Experience managing large sets of data using data processing tools such as Minitab, MATLAB, JMP, or R.
Click on Apply if this sounds like you!
Why join us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here our associates can fulfill their life’s purpose through the work that they do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program — which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components — is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
To learn more about BD visit https://jobs.bd.com/
Employment at BD is contingent upon the Company’s receipt of sufficient proof that you are or will be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Consistent with BD’s Workplace Accommodations Policy, requests for accommodation will be considered pursuant to applicable law.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Jose
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.