Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description Summary
Play a critical role in the development of new life sciences technology as a reliability engineer in the R&D Impact Engineering group, enabling our products to realize their promise to improve human health. Guide the project teams though defect prioritization, failure analysis, root cause investigation, corrective action implementation, and final validation. Assess program and technical risk through data-driven statistical analysis. Be a facilitator of best practices to ensure robust design, thorough risk assessment, and cross-functional transparency and alignment. Be an ambassador of customer experience, design quality, and reliability. Primary duties include the following:
- Oversee and monitor multiple reliability projects.
- Provide reliability risk assessments to cross-functional teams and executive leadership.
- Create and implement test plans to effectively mitigate risks in new product designs.
- Facilitate and direct multidisciplinary discussions to evaluate technical risk through FMEA.
- Author and execute test plans and protocols.
- Leverage internal and external resources to complete reliability test plans.
- Record, organize, and manage large amounts of detailed test data.
- Methodically analyze test data and interpret results for critical reliability decision-making.
- Troubleshoot instrument failures and/or reliability issues as necessary.
- Provide engineering input for new designs to ensure reliable and robust products.
- Direct, execute, and document root cause investigations.
- Guide the team to corrective action identification, implementation, and validation.
- Escalate top issues by providing clear, well-structured, high-level updates.
- Be a champion for best practices in R&D.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience performing tests to collect experimental data and performing statistical analyses to interpret results.
- A minimum of 5 years of reliability engineering experience.
- Knowledge of reliability fundamentals and understanding of reliability analysis (ie-life predictions, product life modeling, root cause analysis, environmental testing, accelerated testing, etc.)
- Willingness to prepare blood samples for testing (training will be provided).
- Excellent communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to perform detail-oriented work with a high degree of accuracy.
In addition to the above minimum qualifications, the following are considered highly desirable:
- A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in engineering or related discipline.
- Knowledge of fluidic, optical, and/or electro-mechanical systems.
- Experience with test automation (Labview, Arduino, etc).
- Demonstrated ability to utilize test and measurement equipment.
- Experience utilizing FMEA to guide team discussions and priorities.
- Technical writing for the preparation of protocols, plans and reports.
- Advanced statistical knowledge, especially related to six sigma tools and methodology, design of experiments, and reliability modelling.
- Experience managing large sets of data using data processing tools such as Minitab, MATLAB, JMP, or R.
“Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.”
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Jose
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.