Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description SummaryThe Staff Manufacturing Engineer will be expected to concurrently lead multiple projects. Lead change, contribute new ideas, and find innovative methods to accomplish goals. Work on mechanical, electrical/electronic problems where analysis of data requires an in-depth evaluation of various factors. Responsible for all packaging and labeling activities through the plant. Act independently, and exercise judgment within broadly defined practices and policies. Help generate cost savings through continuous improvement. May supervise the activities of others. Able to get work done by collaborating with associates from other cross-functional teams.
- Initiate, plan and author engineering change orders to product design, product documentation, Bills of Materials, manufacturing/test/packaging procedures, process routings, tooling, compliance (EMC, safety, laser safety, ROHS, UDI etc.), suppliers and other items in a controlled manufacturing environment.
- Follow proper document formats, material and description nomenclature, and accurate SAP data types per company standards.
- Supervise and handle all labeling activities in Manufacturing
- Help reduce and address field failures due to shipping damage or shipping package issue
- Responsible for the design or redesign of shipping containers of all products
- Resolve mechanical, optical, electrical, and fluidic technical issues encountered during assembly and test of production assemblies through the implementation of timely effective solutions
- Support the introduction and transfer of new products from R&D to manufacturing - review engineering designs and drawings & specifications for completeness, transparency, and manufacturability.
- Evaluate and qualify new suppliers as well as implementing supply change requests
- Collaborate with Product Development to define and implement manufacturability criteria, develop procedures/processes for assembly, PCB's, systems, and sub-systems test procedures including fixtures, during the development process. Ensure designs, documents, and procedures have been validated in manufacturing prior to production release.
- Work is usually independently performed with general instructions as to the objectives expected; Receives technical mentorship on unusual or sophisticated problems and supervisory approval on proposed plans for projects.
- Conduct field failure investigations, identify root causes, and participate in corrective and preventative action efforts.
- Promote a safe work environment. May provide recommendations on maintaining the safety of the work environment.
- Performs other related duties and assignments as required
- BS degree in Engineering or related discipline, e.g., ME, EE, IE, Physics, or equivalent
- Prefer 6 + years of packaging and labeling experience in the medical industry
- Familiarity with ISO 9001 and 13485 standards
- Proficient in AutoCAD/SolidWorks Microsoft Office Software (Word, Excel, Power Point, MS Project, Visio)
- Familiar with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) SAP, Agile or the like
- Ability to read and understand engineering drawings, Bills of Materials, and operational procedures
- Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Strong communication, conflict resolution, time management and interpersonal skills
- Excellent oral, written, and presentation skills
- Strong leadership and coaching skills
- Willingness to travel when required
- M.S. degree
- Strong cGMP familiarity with compliance testing and 21 CFR part 820, medical industry experience
- Knowledge of SAP ERP
- Knowledge of lasers, optical components, fluidic systems, machined parts, sheet metal, cables, PCBA’s
- Experience implementing Demand Flow Technology (DFT) processes
- Experience implementing LEAN manufacturing processes
- 6 Sigma green or black belt
“Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.”
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Jose
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.