Procurement Value Engineer
Job Description SummaryThe Procurement Value Engineer will be responsible for driving Value Analysis / Value Engineering (VAVE) efforts to identify, assess and capture product design or refreshes and manufacturing process efficiencies using a cost modelling tool. They will support / deploy VAVE efforts to identify and achieve significant cost reductions and performance improvement for the business. Business Impact: deliver insights to NPD and Sustaining teams based on customer needs, competitor products, alternative technologies and materials, etc.
- Provides technical support to Procurement, R & D and the various engineering stakeholders in project execution (35%)
- Works with functional and stakeholder leadership to inform / set / deliver against yearly cost and performance improvement targets to achieve business goals (30%)
- Consults with project management, product development, sourcing and operations colleagues to develop and maintain a pipeline of improvement opportunities (25%)
- Successfully completes phase-gate reviews and other documentation as needed. Prepares and presents project status summaries at reviews. (10%)
- May perform other duties as required
Scope of Responsibility:
- Responsible for three primary locations: San Diego, CA; San Jose, CA; Tempe, AZ
- Collaborates / influences to improve and design new products and/or new methods to produce existing products and services that improves the company’s market position (can be through margin improvement, differentiation of offering, increased reliability, etc.) based on VOC.
- Assesses processes and practices for improvement opportunities and supports continuous improvement initiatives to ensure high quality, compliance and gains in organizational efficiency
Sphere of Influence:
- The Procurement Value Engineer will support a wide range of global projects that are related to (but not limited to): product design optimization for value, changing material specifications, changing suppliers, validating new suppliers, changing supply chain purchasing points (i.e., insourcing, outsourcing, moving to or from distributors, etc.). Each of these projects will typically impact multiple sites and successful realization of the results is required in order to achieve the value requirements of the company.
Example of team(s) membership/leadership
- Participates as a member of the Procurement Operations Team
- Participates as a member of numerous product development, improvement and platform teams collaborating and influencing numerous engineering, operations, R&D and market stakeholders
- Potential for extensive supplier contact; applicable professional bodies
Impact on Business Results
- The Procurement Value Engineer is accountable for contributing engineering, manufacturing process, cost modelling expertise and project management acumen to the performance improvement of the company’s products and services.
Impact on quality:
- The projects led and supported by the Procurement Value Engineer will directly impact the quality of BD products.
- The Procurement Value Engineer will support teams making substantial improvements to the gross margin of company products and services as well as improved quality and reliability that will reduce warranty and recall exposure. DTV capability will support innovation and revenue growth while optimizing margins.
- The Procurement Value Engineer will support teams making substantial improvements to the gross margin of company products and services (impact of revenue and COGS).
- Working knowledge of Value Analysis/Value Engineering principles and methodologies
- Proficient in the design and manufacturing operations knowledge in key areas: electromechanical, injection molding, extrusion, electronics including PCBAs, metals including die casting and stamping, manufacturing process automation (assembly, packaging, sterilization)
- Strong engineering analysis skills particularly in the areas of statics and strength of materials
- CAD design proficiency, preferably with SolidWorks or equivalent
- Finite Element Analysis experience a plus
- Familiar with CNC Machining and Milling operations of Plastics, Metals; Sheet metal bending, laser cutting, welding, stamping
- Electrical and electronic engineering principles, through hole and SMT PC board design and manufacturing methodology; electrical and mechanical measurement and analysis devices.
- Familiar with linear and switching power supplies, motor drivers, data conversion techniques, and optoelectronic devices.
- Familiarity with engineering design and drafting tools, such as Altium, SolidWorks, ORCAD, PADS, AutoCad, or similar design and layout tools.
- Familiarity with PLD and FPGA devices and programming is a definite plus
- Injection Molding/Extrusion:
- Research new resins, tooling standards, molding processes, automation techniques, measurement practices, and market trends in accordance with strategic initiatives
- Implement cost savings strategies using methods such as resin conversion, cycle time reduction, increasing press utilization, extending preventative maintenance intervals, packaging optimization, colorant reduction, etc.
- Investigate potential tooling issues to identify and confirm root cause, and to implement corrective action
- Complete measurement studies and data analysis to aid in the qualification of new or existing molds
- Investigate potential tooling issues to identify and confirm root cause, and to implement corrective action
- Project management skills including basic use of MS Project
- Excellent interpersonal, oral presentation and written communication skills; professional presence and behavior
- Expertise in project management, design for manufacturing and design for assembly
- Substantial hands-on experience producing high-value measurable results on complex projects
- Broad expertise in engineering calculations and analysis, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing, and datum structure development
- Capable of successfully managing projects and working with teams across geographies
- Recognized as technical or subject matter expert in value engineering and analysis, DTV methodologies
- Seeks, analyzes and proposes opportunities for improvement (cost, cycle time, quality, etc.) that are complex. Analyzes feasibility and participates in or leads development, execution, or monitoring of implementation plans
- Able to challenge the status quo and champion new initiatives
- Acts as a catalyst for change, engages others, and manages implementation effectively
- Able to build consensus, support colleagues, set a tone of collaboration within teams, resolve issues among associates
- Able to develop, articulate and act upon a strategic vision
- Serves as a model to others through their high level of credibility, strong work ethic, and recognized ability to complete high quality deliverables in a timely manner
- Easily adapts to change and performs well under pressure
- Strong organizational planning, and understanding of portfolio management concepts
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced collaborative team environment within a rapidly evolving business environment
- Penchant for an environment rich in constant change and conflicting requirements
- Highly creative, comfortable with ambiguity, interested in big challenges
- Outcomes and data focused. Ability to leverage data to define key outcomes and navigate varying opinions to gain support for the most compelling approach and narrative.
- High capacity to collaborate across matrixed teams, as well as the ability to exert influence
- Expertise in relationship building, from peers to senior management; great customer service style
- Comfortable operating on both strategic and tactical levels
- Able to lead and influence others in support of company objectives
- Collaborates with stakeholders for cross-group buy-in and implementation alignment and to create an integrated plan and view for the greatest impact
- Leads cross-group integration efforts to align group stakeholders around collaborative implementation and success metrics
- Strong evidence of influencing thought leaders to propel a platform or initiative forward
- Understands and can lead comprehensive change management methodologies
- Demonstrated skill and experience in problem solving (root cause analysis)
- Excellent cross-functional collaboration skills, particularly with distributed teams
- Skilled at solving multi-dimensional problems with both quantitative and qualitative variables
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to speak articulately across all levels of the company
- Exceptional writing and communications skills. You will have accountability for the story and ensure all spokespeople are aligning to and amplifying the core messages.
- Excellent problem solving, decision making and cross functional team building skills
- Highly efficient with MS Office applications
- Preferred – proficiency with MS-Project
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical Engineering or related field with 3+ years of experience in a product development and manufacturing organization, preferably in a mechanical design engineering role; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- 3+ years of experience in a product development and manufacturing organization
- 3+ years of experience in mechanical product design and continuous improvement
- Experience with cost reduction projects
- Strong Exposure to manufacturing operations knowledge in 4 key areas: electromechanical, injection molding, electronics including PCBAs, metals including die casting and stamping
- Ability to travel up to 25% (predominantly domestic with potential for some international travel to Europe)
- Must have current passport or ability to obtain a passport. Must be able to travel to/from the US.
- General office environment, computer use
- Potential Long-distance or air travel as needed (to/from East coast USA, or to/from Europe).
Requires frequent availability during non-standard business hours to collaborate with global team members (Asia and European-based) via Teams or other remote collaboration platforms.
Must be available for extended, varied work hours based upon business need
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.
Primary Work LocationUSA CA - San Diego Bldg A&B
Additional LocationsUSA AZ - Tempe Headquarters, USA CA - San Jose, USA TX - El Paso - Northwestern Dr., USA UT - Sandy
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ