At BD Becton Dickinson & Co., you’re one person making one big difference. You’re a key member of a team that is an important part of a leading, purposeful company committed to advancing the world of health. No matter what role you play, you can be confident that you’re improving lives, all over the world. And as you progress with us, your impact will only grow.
By being hired into one of our Research and Development jobs at BD, you’ll be a key member of the BD team. Professionals in Research and Development careers come from a variety of backgrounds, bringing an assortment of knowledge and skills to every area of our business. A job in Research and Development at BD may be waiting for you!
Scientist I - Cell CultureApply Now Job ID RES100CY Date posted 10/20/2016
Job Description Summary
The Scientist I - Cell Culture focuses on lab management and maintenance to support the design and development of cell culture media and supplement formulations. The Scientist I will also participate on R&D teams to support studies in the areas of new product development and existing product support.
- Responsible for general upkeep and maintenance of the labs including monitoring, ordering, and restocking lab supplies.
- Responsible for routine calibration and maintenance of lab equipment.
- Responsible for maintaining critical lab functions including cell banks, R&D stability testing, stock solution and media preparation, chemical inventory, and performing routine assays.
- Responsible for maintaining cultures of frequently used cell lines.
- Uses established protocols and applies technical standards, principles, and techniques to execution of scientific studies with moderate supervision.
- Documents experimental design, details and results in a laboratory notebook.
- Analyzes data, draws conclusions, and proposes next steps with moderate supervision.
- Contributes to the completion of milestones associated with specific projects.
- Bachelor’s degree with 0-2 years relevant industry experience or a combination of equivalent education and experience.
- Experience in mammalian cell culture (CHO, hybridoma, BHK, etc) and aseptic technique is required.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work effectively in a team based work environment is required.
- Familiarity with spreadsheets and database programs is required.
Additional and Preferred Qualifications:
- Degree in Cell Biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry or related science.
- Experience in media and supplement design and development is preferred.
- Bench scale bioreactor operation experience is a plus.