Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description SummaryReporting to the Associate Director of Continuous Improvement (CI) in MDS, the Staff Quality Engineer I, CI provides leadership and support for Continuous Improvement programs through the use of Six Sigma (Manufacturing, Transactional and Design For Six Sigma), Lean, Validation and project management best practices. The role contributes to the definition of the strategy and determines the tactics required to achieve Company, Cluster, business/Unit/plant & functional objectives. Through outstanding facilitation, communication, effective problem solving and active management of ambiguous situations, the Staff QE ensures effective and efficient processes, product safety, product quality and compliance with all relevant global regulations and with customer expectations. Success is measured in terms of the effectiveness, efficiency and sustainability of quality solutions. Through stakeholder engagement; the Staff QE produces durable and industry leading results, which support key business drivers.
- Provides mentoring / coaching for application of technical principles, theories, concepts and quality, tools and systems.
- Develops technical solutions to complex problems using engineering skills and problem solving methodologies.
- Works with leaders and subject matter experts to develop continuous improvement strategies linked to key business strategies and objectives.
- Focuses on improving processes that support the Business and Quality Objectives.
- Works cross-functionally to drive CI projects, which improve functional work processes.
- Establishes tracking mechanisms (metrics) that record measurable results of CI in terms of process efficiency, customer satisfaction, financial and non-financial benefits, and transfers those mechanisms to the functions. Develops and maintains an overall dashboard to track CI program/project progress and develops other communication mechanisms.
- Benchmarks internal and external organizations. Identifies, implements, leverages and transfers best practice knowledge to the organization.
- Assists functions in utilization of best practices (DFSS, MFSS, 8D, etc).
- Collaborates with other CI associates and CI network(s) to support the deployment and anchoring of CI capabilities across the functions and sites.
- Engage with (or may lead) quality networks, as well as the business units and functions (R&D, Manufacturing, Regulatory, Medical, Marketing etc.) and associates toward the effective promotion and alignment of organizational goals to the company’s mission and vision.
- Effectively navigate and lead through the challenges of change and establish key stakeholder engagement focused on win-win solutions.
- Continuously evaluate progress toward objectives adapting them to meet customer and business needs.
- Pursue and actively manage key stakeholder relationships that support the broader strategy that are impacted by plant/business/function objectives.
- Manage customer impacting issues; prioritizing quality and compliance minded solutions that uphold the company and its standards.
- Works independently or in a team environment on sometimes ambiguous problems and driving them to resolution.
- Must be willing to teach problem solving in a classroom (virtual, or JIT) environment.
- Must have excellent facilitation, technical, verbal communication and writing skills.
- Limited travel may be required
- Six Sigma Certification
- BS degree in Science (Chemistry, Physics etc.) or Engineering (Chemical, Mechanical, Bio-Medical etc.) required
- Minimum 8 years relevant experience or a combination of education and experience in a technically oriented industry (Medical Device, Aerospace, Automotive, Chemical etc.)
- Computer skills, MS Office full suite, Minitab or other statistical packages
- Must have excellent communication skills and the ability to influence across all levels of the organization
Preferred Qualifications (not required):
- Lean Leader Training
- Medical Device Industry and Standards Experience (CFR820, ISO 13485, ISO 14971)
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA NJ - Franklin Lakes
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.