Job Description Summary
BD Sumter is a high efficiency, vertically coordinated manufacturing site. We count about 1,000 employees with various areas of expertise and a culture of excellence. We produce medical devices that are critical to patients and the entire healthcare system. As a top factory for the Becton Dickinson group, we strive to improve the world of health.
As a Buyer you will report directly to the Inbound Supply Chain Manager. You will be responsible for the purchases of raw materials used to manufacture medical devices. You will also be responsible for working with Global Procurement (GP) regarding intervention to ensure favorable pricing, consistency of supply and supplier management for major spend materials and also for plant handled materials. You will support the planning team to meet demand requirements and help lead the accurate balance of stock to support production and inventory targets as cooperated with Corporate Headquarters. Manage contracts for MRO materials and services as well as acting as the plant representative for the Company wide MRO Team.
Responsible for maintaining manual and computerized records that support the purchase of goods and services. Reviews purchase order requests to insure accuracy. Responsible for meeting the compliance requirements of current procedures, supplier management programs, governing bodies (FDA, ISO) and all other procurement activities associated with compliance.
- Initiates purchase orders for procuring raw materials, supplies and services in accordance with approved SAP generated requisitions. Also initiates purchase orders from manual requisitions in direct support of production. Ensures accuracy in all purchase order requests.
-Visits supplier facilities to evaluate their ability to provide products or services which align with BD IDS standards. Gathers appropriate information from suppliers with regard to product requested, including price, availability, capacity, quality requirements, specifications and delivery.
- Follows up on purchase order delivery schedules to insure accurate flow of raw materials into plant as the need arises by production.
- File maintenance of suppliers, catalogues, purchase orders, etc. as assigned.
- Acts as support for the Supplier Quality Engineer to address any defect in purchased goods and can intervene in cases where discussion is required.
- Resolves invoicing issues. Act as a facilitator with Central Accounts Payable team to drive improvements in the AP process.
- Communicates optimally with plant, Division and Corporate personnel including technical engineering and R&D personnel.
- Maintains SAP information to reflect accurate material purchase price standards and supplier performance records to establish guidelines with a high degree of confidence.
- Works with suppliers and Global Procurement to acquire annual improvements in quality, cost, consistency of supply, elimination of inspection, and inventory reduction. Must be proficient in taking care of each of these areas.
- Handles the maintenance and control of all manual and automated purchasing records including detailing all activities with suppliers.
- Establishes and controls annual purchasing cost savings programs.
- Operates under the guidelines of ISO 13485 Certification Program.
- Supports required updates to the supplier management database (Aravo) including capturing required forms related to corporate procedures.
-Manages materials specifications through insuring supplier agreement with specification changes and that the accurate revision is noted on current purchase orders for assigned materials.
Additional duties as the need arises in conjunction with maintaining an effective Purchasing Department.
1. Solid purchasing fundamentals including purchasing processes, solicitation of bids and negotiation
2. Ability to take ownership, think independently and perform tasks with minimal direction
3. Strong analytical, communication and decision making skills. Good oral and written communication skills.
4. Possesses the mathematical skills to analyze and understand supplier pricing formulas, volume/price relationships and incremental pricing analysis.
5. Working knowledge of SAP and understanding of the purchasing applications.
6. Knowledge and training in the laws of purchasing and contracts.
7. Understanding of the principles of Inventory Management, Distribution, Production Control, Manufacturing and Lean Manufacturing Processes.
8. Strong interpersonal skills
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA SC - Sumter
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ