Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description Summary
Excited to grow your career?
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care. We value our talented employees, and whenever possible strive to help one of our associates grow professionally before recruiting new talent to our open positions. If you think the open position you see is right for you, we encourage you to apply! Come join our Team!
Our people make all the difference in our success.
Reports to the Rubber Engineering Manager. Responsible for the implementation of project and process support activities toward attainment of departmental and plant goals. Provides electrical support to the production departments as advised by supervision. Performs work in accordance with instructions and design concepts making independent decisions in developing electrical design concepts of/for sophisticated production mechanisms. Primary focus in areas of capacity expansion, quality/waste improvement and cost improvement programs. Required to prioritize multiple assignments of varying scope and complexity.
- Provides theoretical and hands-on electrical support to the production departments with proven ability to identify problems and pursue plans toward their resolution. Directs the efforts of and aides in the development of technical associates in resolving production issues. This support can include night and weekend calls at home and weekend work.
- Required to support the plant manufacturing effort by developing and implementing plans to improve upon chronic levels of waste, quality defects, equipment downtime, capacity, etc. Implementation of these plans will often include leading teams of technical associates and engineers.
- Required to detail line modifications per plant policies and procedures. This documentation includes but is not limited to completing the accurate change review forms, updating specifications, backing up modified software and updating changes in electrical drawings.
- Responsible for the electrical design and implementation of machine improvements and capital equipment project management activities. Proficient in electrical design, machine controls, programming, and troubleshooting.
- Supports project managers by working on the development, programming, and design of multifaceted and sophisticated portions of new production lines from basic engineering data and direction. Support includes but is not limited to electrical installation, system design, system testing and programming of panel views/PLC’s, machine vision systems, Servo & Stepper Motor Control Systems, Robotics, and various drive and other miscellaneous electrical systems.
- Performs experiments in a team environment to and helps to craft semi-automatic and automatic production machines to develop a concept which will accomplish the desired performance with emphasis on the design of the electrical and control systems.
- Prepares detailed electrical design drawings and reviews the adequacy of design features and general cost estimates with superiors. Designs small devices vital to experiment and study the possibilities of certain unproven operations.
- Responsible for functional accuracy of design and compatibility with product manufactured. Assures the design and standards conform to process specifications. Verifies that equipment meets all government codes (i.e., NEC, OSHA) and standards, as well as, electrical and machine specifications prior to acceptance for shipment.
- Responsible for coordinating activities between equipment vendors, Division R&D, and plant functional departments on his/her assignments. Recommends vendors for commercial items and materials needed for a project.
- Establishes which electrical elements comprising a job are suitable for in-house fabrication or which items would be best contracted. Secure quotations and select contractors; advise the contractor’s efforts or the efforts of in-house forces to a satisfactory scheduled completion of the vital work. Supervise and inspect all work in-process by contractors or plant forces; provide mentorship where vital.
- Responsible for the recommendation of capital equipment or process modifications, their physical installation, debugging and associated training of production personnel. Responsible for the management of capital expenditures.
- Responsible for all associated documentation including, however not limited to, the following: validations, operating procedures, preventive maintenance schedules, change review notifications, and spare parts listings.
- Advises the efforts of support personnel such as machinists and technicians, etc. in the modification, adjustment, removal and installation of new or existing equipment as the need arises.
- Proposes and implements cost reductions to meet budgeted amounts and deadlines.
- operation and troubleshooting of equipment. Act as a mentor and coach for Manufacturing and Engineering Technicians
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- University BS Degree in Electrical Engineering or related engineering discipline.
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in a manufacturing environment. Preferably in the high-speed production of medical devices.
- Understanding and working knowledge of automation equipment, PLC's, and SolidWorks.
Why join us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here our associates can fulfill their life’s purpose through the work that they do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program — which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components — is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
To learn more about BD visithttps://jobs.bd.com/
For most roles at BD, employment is contingent upon the Company’s receipt of sufficient proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. In limited circumstances, weekly testing for COVID-19 may be available instead of vaccination. Consistent with BD’s Workplace Accommodations Policy, requests for accommodation will be considered pursuant to applicable law.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.
Primary Work LocationUSA SC - Sumter
Work ShiftNA (United States of America)
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.