Sr. Manager, Supply Chain
Job Description SummaryResponsible for directing and managing all financial and human resource activities for the Supply Chain Department. Reports directly to the Plant Manager of the Sumter BD Specimen Management manufacturing facility. Responsible for ensuring excellence in the plant wide supply chain processes, therefore enabling excellent product availability for customers as well as components availability for BD sister plants and business partners. Enables supply chain CI by advising functional peers on business trends, cross-functional synergistic opportunities, formulating product flow scenarios, and facilitating business revenue optimization strategic and tactical planning.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
Must have experience in these areas:
- Responsible for the purchasing of all raw materials, component parts, MRO materials and capital equipment required to meet production schedules and to support plant operations. Oversees the issuing of purchase orders and change notices as required for materials and components and the establishing of proper lead times to obtain adequate supplies to meet manufacturing production schedules.
- Guides and coordinates Purchasing and Supplier Quality personnel toward quick and efficient corrective action processing of non-conforming raw materials.
- Ensures validity of demands by attending demand debrief and asking for regional rationales justifying certain changes. Aligns with Global Supply Chain groups on volume or mix.
- Makes recommendations for schedule changes that optimize equipment, personnel, materials, and time. Facilitates planning discussions with global supply chain to find ultimate balance between plant efficiencies and forecast / global supply chain requests.
- Reviews master production schedules driven from the SCM (Supply Chain Management) system and managed by the plant Production Planning group to ensure requirements are in line with stated capacities and that finished goods inventory levels are managed to meet expected customer service requirements.
- Reviews global requirements for the Rubber and Injection Molding departments to ensure that both in-house and sister sites requirements are supported. Communicates and formulates strategies to mitigate concerns when component supply concerns arise.
- Oversees / recommends the in-depth search for new suppliers pertaining to improved materials in both quality improvement and cost reduction programs. If materials are One Company Procurement managed, works in conjunction with OCP to identify suppliers that meet these goals.
- Consolidates world-wide demand for cannula and works with BD Medical Segment to ensure that capacities are in place to meet out year demand.
Master Data Management:
- Understands production control systems and functions to setup and maintain schedules and to record and report all associated activities.
- Manages development and implementation of procedures, practices, work flows, and the sequence of operations to obtain maximum efficiency and accuracy in the performance of all duties.
- Utilizes established principles to revise, modify, initiate, and maintain all Materials Control documentation as required to ensure that the efficient and underlying operation of the department will meet ISO/QSR/SOX requirements.
- Identify opportunities for improvement and champions transformation by ensuring appropriate support to change initiatives and adherence to best in class practices.
- Process owner responsible for optimizing the disposition of nonconforming material across business units and in coordination with quality. Escalates and coaches on best practice to minimize inventory stuck at the plant. Escalate to Business Management Teams for follow up as required.
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate talent, support & coordination to protect the plants bottleneck that is our on-site Gamma sterilizer.
- Responsible for maintaining high efficiency through problem solving and improvement initiatives.
- Liaise with corporate functions such as Sterilization Assurance or Microbiology Lab groups to identify/share best practices and get appropriate support & perspective from the global network.
- Identify & implement cost saving initiatives, contributing to the plant CI/C2W effort
- Responsible for maintaining appropriate talent, support & coordination in order to protect the flow of products out of the plant to the appropriate DC’s / BD plant.
End to End Supply Chain Leadership:
- Has direct supervision of 3 Managers, who respectively have responsibility for the Inbound, Outbound and Planning aspect of the whole Supply Chain. Coach, support and challenge them towards improvement in each area. Facilitate synergies between the groups and ensure their work environment is fair & fulfilling.
- Represents the Sumter plant in monthly Integrated Reconciliation Meetings with both Divisional Product Family Platform leaders.
- Prepares capacity analysis in coordination with each BU. Aligns with Finance on subsequent investments required. Reviews main areas of concern and alerts as necessary. Follows up with CI leadership, as needed. Highlights changes and presents the plant-wide capacity outlook for the whole Sumter facility.
- Filters, reports or explains information about business performance / marketing strategies with plant LT in order to maintain a strategic alignment between the plant and the BUs.
- Works with Business Integrators on strategic projects such as manufacturing transfers, make vs. buy assessments, risk mitigation, business continuity exercises, etc. Acts as facilitator for Corporate stakeholder through the Sumter plant.
- Responsible for accuracy and issuance of reports to Accounting, Local and Corporate Management that provide data for budgets (long term planning), financial forecasts, status of production, inventories, backorders and product shipments.
- Defines appropriate inventories strategies to achieve business needs and priorities, while minimizing investments. Ensures implementation and achievement of subsequent inventory targets for Raw Materials, WIP and FG.
- Responsible for the development of quantitative and qualitative goals and strategies to define the Supply Chain and coach managers on the definition of strategies for their areas.
- Responsible for the Supply Chain exempt personnel, including employee coaching, counseling, training, performance management and development.
- Networks with central functions to stay in touch w BD initiatives such as Control Tower and get central support for transformation projects such as digitalization of data or processes.
- Perform other duties as required by Sumter Plant Manager
- Ability to travel up to 25%
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Must have a BS Degree in Business, Engineering, or relevant discipline.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience performing in a similar role within a manufacturing setting.
- Minimum of 15 years manufacturing experience.
- Excellent communication skills
- Effective negotiation skills to support the purchasing process
- Ability to handle ambiguity and change
“Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.”
Primary Work LocationUSA SC - Sumter
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ