Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description SummaryBD is a medical technology company that serves healthcare institutions, life science researchers, clinical laboratories, industry and the general public. BD manufactures and sells a broad range of medical supplies, devices, laboratory equipment and diagnostic products. BD is headquartered in the United States and has offices in more than 50 countries worldwide. Learn more about BD at www.bd.com.
We are seeking a results driven candidate who is a self-starter and a creative problem solver, with the ability to work closely with product development, operations and assembly departments in multiple locations. Reports directly to the Business Unity Manager for Rubber Molding. Leads continuous improvement activities and drives future vision of rubber manufacturing in Sumter, South Carolina. Supports operations team in technical challenges and works closely with Quality to ensure rubber produced meets customer and downstream manufacturing expectations.
Essential Job Functions:
- Work with Franklin Lakes R&D to prioritize product and process improvements
- Work with the product development team, the QC lab, and the research team to bring online additional testing capabilities
- Design experiments to determine root causes of product challenges
- Train/supervise new engineers and technicians as needed
- Document results and provide conclusions & recommendations
- Develop and evaluate rubber compounds and material for medical device applications
- Optimize process settings for existing materials to get consistent rubber by improving variability in the manufacturing environment
- Provide feedback to appropriate stakeholders on changes to current manufacturing processes for process and product optimization
- Lead, participate, and provide subject matter expertise in root cause analysis exercises for quality issues related to rubber compounds
- Develop in process quality trackers such as First Pass Yield and manage and communicate those trends to appropriate stakeholders
- From tracked in process quality results, react to daily low capability values, out of tolerance points on SPC (statistical process control) charts, and support improvement programs to gain control of poor performing characteristics
- Develop and optimize test methods for material characterization and analytical chemistry for product development projects
- Communicate technical results, critical issues and recommendations to project teams and functional manager
- Perform a variety of advanced chemical tests, processes and procedures to support production and research and development on elastomeric materials
- Plan and execute tasks and deliver results on schedule
- Develop and communicate contingency plans as appropriate
- Support cross-functional development projects, translating ideas and concept through feasibility and prototypes to manufacturing
- Investigate critical product/process challenges during technology development, product development and manufacturing
- Represent the site as the prime technical contact
- Participate in supplier qualification for raw material selection and conduct/coordinate tests on raw materials to ensure quality and regulatory compliance
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, federal, and BD safety regulations, policies, and procedures
- Work under minimal direction toward established long-range goals and objectives
- Manage one salaried direct report
- Mentor and train operations team members and foster a collaborative work environment
- Stay up to date with technological developments in rubber compounding
- Required, Master’s degree (materials science, polymer science or related discipline), preferred Doctorate degree
- Required, 5+ years previous industry experience in rubber compounding in a manufacturing environment.
- Required, hands-on experience in rubber testing
- Demonstrated ability to generate compounding alternatives to fix product challenges
- Experience in experimental design and results analysis
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills, excellent interpersonal and analytical skills
- A self-starter with the ability to wear multiple hats
- Fluency in office productivity tools (Microsoft Office, Minitab)
- Attention to detail
- Written and conversational fluency in English
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Regular standing, walking, sitting, reaching
- Occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds
- Upper body strength to handle mill knife and sheet-off rubber
- Frequent talking, hearing and seeing
- Frequent using of hands to grasp, handle, or feel
- Primarily operates in office and manufacturing environments
- Some of the work is performed in a shop environment where it may be loud, dusty, hot or cold
- Routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, and photocopiers.
- Regularly required to use personal protective equipment
- Travel of up to 10% may be required
“Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.”
Primary Work LocationUSA SC - Sumter
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.