Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description Summary
Medication Delivery Solutions (MDS), with ~$4B in annual revenues, is the largest Business Unit (BU) across BDX. MDS products are designed to optimize medication delivery and include vascular access devices (peripheral and central IV catheters, acute dialysis catheters, port access, and guidance technologies), vascular management systems (flush, disinfecting caps, vascular skin antisepsis, dressing, and stabilization devices), hazardous drug handling and testing solutions, infusion specialty disposables (IV sets, connectors), injection systems (hypodermic needles and syringes, enterals, anesthesia needles and kits, sharps collectors), and BD Intelliport™ (for clinical medication management).
Role Description & Key Success Factors
The Sr. Staff Engineer will be part of Packaging CoE, responsible for developing and implementing new packaging designs following the established design control processes and procedures, focusing on identifying and deploying new technologies, new designs and innovative ideas to improve packaging performance, user experience and business profit. This role will require close communication and coordination across the organization, with R&D, Marketing, Regulatory, Medical Affairs, Manufacturing and Business Development. The incumbent is expected to extensively leverage external packaging ecosystem including academic, external labs, industry suppliers, packaging industry experts.
- Capable of leading the design, development and qualification of packaging systems for new and existing products which may include feasibility studies, sealing and/or forming characterization, and design verification
- Mentor and develop junior packaging engineering staff
- Assume end to end responsibility for pipeline innovations and design improvements accountabilities including primary, secondary and tertiary sterile and non-sterile packaging
- Have a creation of meaningful intellectual property to protect innovation and have leadership of key Packaging CoE strategic initiatives
- Support Packaging CoE portfolio innovation pipeline through research, ideation, collaboration, development and execution
- Championing a customer-centered, entrepreneurial approach to strategic innovation initiatives
- Collaborate with R&D, Project Management and other cross-functional partners to drive timelines and accountability for sustaining engineering, new product development, innovation and change to win initiatives
- Research and investigate into new and emerging technologies and packaging materials
- Coordinate and lead multi-departmental teams to manage innovation activities
- Combine empathy, creative instinct and business savvy to challenge existing assumptions and status quo
- Concept development and product design to develop solutions to undefined technical problems
- Completes work independently receives general guidance of new and existing projects
- Provide senior technical leadership, advanced engineering skills, and project management skills toward development and execution of technology strategy and roadmap within the packaging design area
- Lead evaluation of relevant next-generation packaging technologies and materials
- Identify, plan, break down and solve complex and abstract problems, and leveraging your credibility to provide technical direction / guidance / mentoring to the organization.
- Using these advanced technical skills, you will conceive, plan, and lead key technical development activities.
- Bachelor degree in packaging degree or closely related field
- Desired 10 years of significant engineering and operational experience in the medical device or pharmaceutical industries with at least 2 years focused on identifying and evaluating innovation projects, new design packages and emerging technologies
- Knowledge of medical device industry
- Knowledge of stage gate product development process preferred
- Strong Design for Excellence and Six Sigma experience
- Experience working with Manufacturing
- Solid understanding of disciplined product development processes, regulatory and quality requirements, high-volume manufacturing practices.
- Experience of driving decisions within highly matrixed, cross-functional teams.
- Deep technical curiosity, courage and drive for advancing bold and ambitious ideas that provide better options for patients and caregivers
- Possess a high degree of motivation, bring an energetic and energizing approach to all engagements
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA IL - Vernon Hills
Work ShiftUS BD 1st Shift 8am-430pm (United States of America)
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.