Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll help us share our innovative solutions with more clinics, physicians, pharmacies and medical entities which will in turn benefit the health and well-being of people and patients all over the nation. It’s an exciting, challenging and rewarding role, but you’ll be working from a place of strength thanks to our trusted name, and the belief in our products that you’ll quickly develop. Here, you’ll be channeling all your sales skills and experience into one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description SummaryBe part of something bigger!
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. We have over 65,000 employees and a presence in virtually every country around the world to address some of the most challenging global health issues.
Our vision for Surgery at BD:
In Surgery, our products empower providers to reduce the incidence of surgical complications, improve patients’ experiences and lower the total cost of surgical care.
The BD Interventional Surgery Division offers a broad range of infection prevention and biosurgery products, including ChloraPrep skin prep, Arista Absorbable Hemostat, and Progel Air Leak Sealant.
The Associate Territory Manager (ATM) is primarily responsible for providing field level support to physicians and other clinical professionals for the Interventional Surgery division.
To be successful in this role, you will be working closely with field sales and Marketing, the ATM will execute field level surgical case support and professional training plans that help achieve annual sales targets. This includes 80% travel using extended stays in a field based territory to build strong and lasting customer relationships. Customers include physicians, nurses, technicians, administrators, office staff, sales personnel and other hospital personnel. If successful, this role will eventually lead to formal territory responsibility as a Territory Manager. Associate Territory Managers must be open to relocation anywhere in the U.S. to assume responsibility for an open territory.
The Associate Territory Manager will be responsible for supporting BD’s Infection Prevention and Biosurgery products with physicians, clinicians, materials management and other key decision makers. Other responsibilities include:
- Coordinates with field sales, the logistics, timing, duration, strategy and execution of field level customer training and technical support of clinical cases
- Works with sales management in prioritizing targeted customers, cases and training events
- Supports the development of regional physician proctors to help with formal and informal training activities
- Conducts training and in-servicing for hospital surgery staff and support personnel
- Supports the development of regional centers of excellence and works with Marketing on the execution of territory physician training seminars
- Provides support for regional marketing events, conventions and symposia
- Performs special projects
- Maintains equipment, advertising, and promotional matter in a presentable and orderly manner
- Completes all paperwork on time and thoroughly; keeps accurate up-to date account records; Utilizes sales funnel to set goals and target accounts
- Proper use of productive selling time; i.e., calls in late afternoon with a minimum of three O.R.s per day and four surgeon contacts per day. Doctors not available at the hospital will be contacted in their office
- Acquires comprehensive knowledge of prices, discounts, availability of each product and competition according to quality and quantity
- Maintains adequate supply of promotional tools (samples, brochures, videos)
- Must have all basic product knowledge and acquire knowledge of all new products added to the line and apply this knowledge to adequately conduct in-service education to all hospitals
- Stays within expense budget
- Knows and effectively uses selling presentations as well as standard answers to objections
- Continually increases knowledge of trends (business, technological, sociological), sales skills, promotion techniques, information on new product, and sales forecasting
- Manages relationships with the District Manager, Territory Managers, and customers
- Plans sales calls on a continuous basis and organizes time for effective coverage of the territory. A daily written plan is to be used
- Develops detailed knowledge of company policies and the ability to interpret them to customers and prospects
- Maintains the company car in a clean, orderly, and serviceable condition
- Uses to the best advantage nurses lectures, journal club meetings, local seminars, resident lectures, hospital displays and evaluation committee product presentations
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree required
- 0-2 years general sales experience preferred
- Experience working in a team environment, particularly with sales professionals
- The ability to work in an operating room environment is required
- Strong interpersonal, oral, communication, organizational and planning skills
- Good judgment and maturity
- Willing to relocate to fill an open Territory Manager position
- Ability to travel 80%, including overnight travel
- Must be able to meet and maintain customer/medical facility access requirements
- Must live within assigned region
- Must possess and maintain a valid state-issued driver's license and meet BD's auto safety standards.
Additional Desirable Qualification Skills and Knowledge
- Understand a needs analysis approach to sales, the product buyer concept, and contract administration
- Understands principles of group purchasing to include research, formulating and recommending a proposal
- Demonstrated ability to discuss the various products in relation to the human body
- Familiarity with medical and surgical terminology
- Proven ability to build positive relationships with Internal Customers – Sales Training, Marketing, National Accounts, Customer Service, Contracts, Field Sales Team and External Customers – KOLs, Surgeons, Physicians, Nurses, and Sourcing
Why join us?
A career at BD means being part of a team that values your opinions and contributions and that empowers you to bring your authentic self to work. Here our associates can fulfill their life’s purpose through the work that they do every day.
You will learn and work alongside inspirational leaders and colleagues who are equally passionate and committed to fostering an inclusive, growth-centered, and rewarding culture. Our Total Rewards program — which includes competitive pay, benefits, continuous learning, recognition, career growth, and life balance components — is designed to support the varying needs of our diverse and global associates.
To learn more about BD visit https://jobs.bd.com/
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA RI - Warwick
What makes a successful Sales Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
I’m proud to work at BDI Surgery and BD because the work we do every day optimizes surgical outcomes and enhances patients’ lives.
VP Sales & Commercial Excellence
Every day we focus on bringing innovative solutions to patients living with diabetes. The patient is at the heart of everything we do.
VP Marketing and Commercial Excellence
Getting our customers the right information on time so they can focus on their science and diagnostics needs is why I come to work every day.
Vice President Global Marketing