Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description Summary
Product Development Engineer / Scientist 1 to support new product development teams and innovation efforts. We are a high performance team developing Class III implantable devices. This is an opportunity to develop high impact solutions that support multiple clinical specialties. A background in biomaterials, biomedical engineering or chemical engineering is a plus.
This is an entry level role with room to grow. Associate will be responsible for the conception, design and development of new and improved products. Coordinates and implements projects through all phases of design and development. Responsible for supporting biomaterial development through prototyping, test method development, experimental study design and execution.
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Participate in executing technical and/or cross-functional project work.
- Contribute to a culture of innovation by proactively generating novel concepts for new products and enhancements to current product performance.
- Understand customer user needs through literature review, customer interviews, direct observation, competitive analysis, prototype evaluation, and clinical/simulated use studies.
- Translate customer needs into design input engineering requirements and specific product, packaging and process design output specifications.
- Engineer robust and manufacturable products through strong understanding and application of engineering fundamentals and DFSS principles.
- Develop and execute test methods which specify measurement equipment, test set-up, measurement systems analysis, and statistical data analysis.
- Coordinate R&D development labs, animal and cadaver studies, and simulated bench evaluations to obtain user feedback, prototype evaluation, competitive testing.
- Execute design verification testing to confirm design outputs meet design input requirements.
- Execute design validation labs to confirm user needs are adequately met.
- Collaborate with QA to evaluate Human Factors and Usability impact to design and risk analysis.
- Write detailed technical reports based on design verification analysis/testing for design changes and product design activities.
- Support current products in terms of quality, manufacturing, supply continuity and cost improvement.
- Ensure compliance with BD quality policies, procedures and practices as well as with all local, state, federal and BD safety regulations, policies and procedures.
- BS degree in engineering is required (Chemical or Biomedical Engineering preferred). Post graduate degree is desired.
- 1-2 years of engineering experience is required (or combination of work experience and advanced degrees), preferably in medical devices.
- Demonstrated ability to utilize statistical tools and computer analysis.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA RI - Warwick
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.