Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description SummaryThe Senior Design Engineering Lab Specialist is responsible for providing rapid concept prototyping and tooling design & build support to cross-functional product development teams during the pre-concept, development, and pre-production phases of new surgical implant and surgical device projects.
The Senior Design Engineering Lab Specialist is responsible for creatively supporting the fabrication of concept rapid prototyping, the design and fabrication of associated product bench testing tooling & fixtures, and the fabrication of R&D manufacturing tooling. This position would independently support multiple cross-functional product development teams during the pre-concept, development, and pre-production phases of new surgical implant and surgical device projects. Responsibilities may also include troubleshooting existing production line equipment, replicating existing manufacturing components from various company production plants with little-to-no supervision. The Senior Design Engineering Lab Specialist may also help mentor and develop lower level DE lab specialists.
Essential Duties and Position Responsibilities:
- Collaborate with R&D engineers on product concept design ideas, initial design concept development, and the fabrication of complex product concept prototypes
- Directly assist Advanced Manufacturing Engineers in the design and fabrication of complex tooling/testing fixtures to support product development and device testing builds
- Receive and analyze 3D part and assembly files for build requests, determine optimal shop equipment to use for part builds, convert 3D part files to CNC machining programs using CAD CAM software
- Interpret incoming build requests through basic understanding of traditional 2D drawing methods, including blueprints, engineering plans, orthographic style drawings, and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T). Verify built components are within the requested specifications
- Independently manage the planning, ordering, and maintaining of material stock inventory and procurement of required shop tooling/supplies on an ongoing basis
- Oversee shop equipment preventive maintenance requirements, including following manufacturer's instructions, troubleshooting malfunctions, and working with equipment vendors for repairs
- Maintain safe operations by adhering to company EHS and Quality Assurance procedures and regulations, including adhering to company safety requirements of peripheral guarding equipment for drilling, grinding, polishing, cutting, and turning machine operations
- Set up and operate CNC milling equipment, including 3-axis milling center and 5-axis high speed milling machines. May need to operate multiple machines simultaneously as needed to maximize shop productivity
- Program and operate in-house 3D printing machines in a high paced R&D environment, including performing 3D printing equipment maintenance as necessary
- Set up and operate manual mills, lathes, and other basic machine shop equipment
- Perform other miscellaneous R&D duties and projects as assigned
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills
- Associates Degree required
- 4 + years experience as a CNC Programmer & CNC Operator using CAM programming
- 6 + years experience in a related industry
- Experience with 3D CAD/CAM products
- Proven track record of set up and operation of CNC milling, manual milling and turning machines
- Basic knowledge of materials and associated material machining guidelines
- Basic knowledge of common mechanical engineering principles and standards
- Knowledge of standard measuring tools (i.e. micrometers, calipers, gauges.)
- Strong planning, organizational and time management skills
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in 3D CAD design and CAD/CAM conversational programming using SolidWorks and CAMWorks respectively
- Familiarity with Haas VMC CNC milling machinery or Sharp CNC lathes
- Broad overall knowledge of disposable or implantable medical device technologies
- Knowledge of rapid prototyping technologies and associated software applications
- Design Engineering
- Product Development Engineering
- Advanced Manufacturing Engineering
- Advanced Quality Engineering
- Equipment and Tooling Suppliers
- OEM and Manufacturing Vendors
- External Machine Shops
- Material Suppliers
- Rapid Prototyping Vendors
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA RI - Warwick
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.