Be part of something bigger at BD. Here, you’ll join a driven, agile engineering team working in a startup-like environment that has the backing and resources of a Fortune 500 company. In engineering, you could be involved in everything from operations, production and construction to information technology and maintenance environments, all while analyzing and developing solutions to further our engineering capabilities. You’ll use your talent and track record of solving complex problems to achieve one singular goal: advancing the world of health™. At BD, you can make a true difference of one.
Job Description Summary
Senior Engineer or Scientist to provide technical leadership for Class III surgical implant device development. We are a high-performance team developing new products to support multiple surgical specialties. Looking for candidates with strong biomaterials experience or strong product development expertise who are comfortable both with the development lifecycle and supporting innovation.
Test methods, protocols and procedures
• Has technical and practical knowledge of protocol and procedure development
• Has technical and practical knowledge of test fixture development
• Has practical knowledge of statistical analysis and test report generation
• Has practical knowledge of test method development and validation
Compliance and quality assurance
• Understands documentation requirements per ISO13485/FDA QSR quality systems
• Understands Company safety procedures and ISO14001 regulations
• Understands the Company’s product development processes and policies, including design history file assembly and maintenance
• Participates in formulating, implementing and refining internal and external guidelines, policies, processes and practices that support the Company’s product development activities
• Supports as necessary and appropriate regulatory and legal enforcement activities (e.g., reporting body audits, patent infringement lawsuits)
Technical skills and scientific principles
• Demonstrates understanding of applications, technologies and tools for gathering and analyzing product performance data
• Understands and applies relevant design/technical tools to support concept development and selection, based on sound understanding of the technical, manufacturing and clinical requirements
• Is comfortable with learning new systems and facilitating the adaptation of system functionality to support new or changing process or business requirements
• Develops and applies advanced technologies, scientific principles, theories and concepts (may extend knowledge in a particular field)
Intellectual property and technology landscaping
• Understands the need for assessing the potential impact of third party patents during the development process and regularly engages with the Company’s IP professionals to ensure necessary landscape and/or freedom to operate work is timely performed and any risks are
addressed and/or communicated
• Promotes and facilitates capture of innovations through the Company’s invention disclosure process
• Provides market insights/intelligence to drive technology and design decisions
• Performs competitive and industry intelligence analysis through research and networking with internal and external thought leaders
• Understands how environmental factors such as government legislation, macroeconomic shifts and medical practice changes affect the competitive landscape in which the Company is operating
Analytical skills and business acumen
• Identifies and challenges key drivers of product performance across a full operating range, to define design robustness
• Consistently uses analytical outputs as the basis for taking action to ensure delivery of key performance criteria
• Provides market insights/intelligence to drive business and strategy decisions
• Understands tax entity structuring design to optimize global R&D footprint
• Establishes and maintains effective relationships with internal customers
• Is committed to meeting internal customers’ expectations and needs while applying the concepts of objective problem-solving
• Has technical knowledge and communication proficiency to engage with external customers and suppliers
Planning and budgeting skills
• Demonstrates familiarity with the techniques and processes used to develop a functional or project budget
• Can translate activities and tasks into an actionable plan, allowing for contingencies
• Develops schedules and assigns/coordinates resources to deliver responsibilities
• Facilitates the setting of project objectives and goals
• Is able to organize people and activities to complete objectives, goals and deadlines
• Demonstrates capability in providing timely, accurate and reliable reporting on progress against key measures and goals
• Has clear understanding of how to assimilate large amounts of data into understandable and concise presentations
• Interfaces closely with cross-functional members of a project team
• Provides in-depth analysis of technology/product performance and helps the team translate technical data into actionable plans to improve performance (as needed) or to ensure customer
requirements are being met
• Communicates performance discrepancies to the cross-functional team and identifies what specific help is needed from the team to reach resolution
• Is skillful in effectively presenting/communicating performance results/test outcomes
• 5–8+ years’ experience
• Devises solutions and communicates them to management
• Influences processes and strategies
• Guides the successful completion of major programs, technically or functionally
• Typically requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree
• Implantable Medical Device Experience
• Biomaterials Experience
• Class III Device Experience
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status, or any other protected status.
Primary Work LocationUSA RI - Warwick
What makes a successful Engineer Professional at BD? Check out the top traits we’re looking for and see if you have the right mix.
- Team player
Advancing the world of health™
BD is one of the largest global medical technology companies in the world and is advancing the world of health™ by improving medical discovery, diagnostics and the delivery of care. BD helps customers enhance outcomes, lower costs, increase efficiencies, improve safety and expand access to health care.
As a new employee what I like most about BD are the many learning and professional developmental opportunities for growth offered. It is good to know that there are so many resources to choose from.
Since joining BD, I really have liked the people I work with on a daily basis and the collaboration towards common goals.
Senior Program Manager
BD is full of passionate, loyal, and driven people that have a common goal of advancing healthcare without sacrificing quality or service.