Job Description SummaryThe Operations Manager is responsible for manufacturing operations and associated support functions including; Operators, Mechanics, Shipping & Receiving, Manufacturing Engineer, and Production Planning/Buying. This individual will have extensive involvement with new product and process development activities to support the launch of new products, line extensions, vertical integrations and sustaining engineering activities. This role will also be responsible for ensuring a sustainable supply chain is established for all products. The Operations Manager will be a key liaison between the division and other BD manufacturing facilities. This position reports directly to the Plant Manager.
Excited to grow your career?
We value our talented employees, and whenever possible strive to help one of our associates grow professionally before recruiting new talent to our open positions. If you think the open position you see is right for you, we encourage you to apply!
Our people make all the difference in our success.
This position will lead all manufacturing operations at the Woburn Site, and associated relationships with suppliers and the product distribution teams. Impacts design for manufacturability and cost effectiveness of new processes transferred to manufacturing.
Essential Duties and Position Responsibilities
- Assure compliance of facilities to all appropriate Quality, Safety, Environmental and Financial Regulations
- Directly responsible for the Woburn Operations budget
- Assure effective plant and divisional procurement practices that create a competitive advantage
- Responsible for establishing a sustainable supply chain for all products
- Responsible for working in collaboration with Strategic Sourcing and Supply Chain to achieve inventory objectives (including initial transfer inventory for New Products) and accomplishment of service level goals
- Dotted line responsibility for Buyer/Planner. The Operations Manager will partner with the Buyer/Planner to establish and implement business processes for production planning and monitoring of critical production metrics
- As required, participates in due diligence activities to evaluate / support acquisitions
- Provide leadership and direction to the Woburn operations organization. Establish and monitor quarterly and annual objectives for direct reports. Provide ongoing feedback regarding performance against objectives
- Assure the selection, development, and retention of high caliber talent. Implement succession-planning and cross training activities for all areas of responsibility
- Foster the establishment of a constructive functional work environment. Works seamlessly with R&D, RA, Finance, Quality, Supply Chain, Human Resources, and other functional areas
- Through the principles of “Lean Thinking” and “Six Sigma” foster an environment of continuous improvement in the areas of cost, quality, service and best manufacturing practices
- Other responsibilities and projects as assigned
- Perform other related duties as required
Qualifications, Knowledge, and Skills Required:
- Minimum BS\BA. Advanced degree strongly preferred
- 5+ years direct experience in medical device manufacturing with hands-on experience in multiple disciplines
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills. Ability to interface effectively with all levels of the BD organization (corporate, division and plant). Excellent verbal and written communications. (Bi-lingual English/Spanish a plus)
- Strong working knowledge in Procurement, Materials Management, and Plant Financials. Ability to effectively manage technical processes
- General understanding of GMP, ISO, OSHA, and EPA requirements
- Ability to build high performing teams and provide coaching and mentoring for staff and key personnel
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Proven track record of implementing change, driving cost improvements and increasing efficiencies
- Prior experience in a Six Sigma or Lean Manufacturing environment
- Demonstrated ability in leading cross functional teams
- Plant Leadership Team
- Facilities Engineers
- Manufacturing Engineers
- Manufacturing Operators
- Quality Assurance Engineers
- Documentation Clerks
- Marketing Product Managers
- Finance Analyst/Managers
- Human Resources
- Operations Management
- Receiving Facility Staff
- Supply Chain Management
- Product Development and R+D Staff
- Packaging Engineering
- QC Associates and Inspectors
- Tool/Mold Vendors
At BD Becton, Dickinson & Co., you are one person making one big difference. You are a key member of a team that is an important part of a leading, purposeful company committed to advancing the world of health. No matter what role you play, you can be confident that you are improving lives, all over the world. And, as you progress with us, your impact will only grow.
Becton, Dickinson and Company is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer! We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital or domestic or civil union status, familial status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, disability, military eligibility or veteran status.
Primary Work LocationUSA MA - Woburn
Recommendto a friend
"Purpose driven company where associates work every day to make healthcare better. A lot of great initiatives going on to make BD the best MedTech company in the world."
Anonymous, Franklin Lakes, NJ